Walk from camp to camp in remote eastern Zambia – follow animal footpaths, discover the African bush with your expert African safari guide as he walks the Chikoko Trails sharing his experience and wilderness knowledge.
- Tafika (South Luangwa)
- Chikoko Walking Trails from Tafika into Chikoko and Crocodile Camps.
- 8 days/7 nights
Highlights of the Chikoko walking trail
Situated just outside the Nsefu Sector of the South Park it boasts some of the finest leopard viewing in Zambia. The leopard-sighting opportunities combined with the unusual and exhilarating safari activities and the camp’s family-friendly atmosphere, Tafika is the perfect first stop in any Zambian adventure.
Tafika Camp has just six comfortable chalets – four chalets with double beds in each room; honeymoon suite with an enormous king size bed; one chalet with two rooms, a king size bed and two doubles perfect for families. All have outdoor showers under giant lead wood trees – a truly intimate experience. The route takes you along the tracks and paths of the Game Management Area adjacent to Tafika Camp.
- day and night game drives at Tafika
- walks, cycling, visit the local village
- situated on the west bank of the Luangwa, the Chikoko Trails Camps comprise two private camps: Chikoko Tree Camp and Crocodile River Camp
- walk from camp to camp in the remote Eastern Zambia following the animal footpaths. Discover the inner workings of the African bush as your expert guides share their experience and wilderness knowledge
- the route follows the well-worn elephant and hippo trails. Through the Luangwa Valley following in the footsteps of David Livingstone. Here guests – accompanied by an experienced guide, an armed National Park scout and a tea bearer – tread through the African bush alongside the wildlife
- discover the sights, scents and sounds of the African bush
Best time to go to Tafika and Chikoko
- 1st of May to the 15th of November – Tafika Camp is seasonally operated – – during the dry season.
- 25th of May to the 31st of October – The two Chikoko Trails Camps are also seasonal –
Children under the age of 10 years are accepted at Tafika at management’s discretion.
Alternative walking safaris
|Day 1 - Lusaka - Mfuwe airstrip - Tafika||Arrive Lusaka International airport for your Proflight flights to Mfuwe. Met on arrival at Mfuwe for transfer to Tafika Camp|
|Days 2 - 3 Tafika Camp||During your stay at Tafika you'll go on day and night game drives, walks, cycling and visit the local village. There's an abundance of game, quiet spots to sit and watch the activity on the river.|
|Day 4 - Chikoko Camps||Chikoko Tree Camp and Crocodile River Camp, our small and exclusive bush camps in South Luangwa, form the Chikoko Trails and offers the only true walking safari in the Luangwa.|
|Days 5 - 7 Chikoko Camps||Good sightings of leopard, lion, buffalo, elephant, and zebra, as well as Cookson’s wildebeest and Thornicroft Giraffe (both unique to this area). Kudu and roan antelope, buffalo herds. Birding.|
|Day 8 - Depart Chikoko - Mfuwe airstrip - Lusaka||Leave Chikoko after breakfast for transfer to Mfuwe airstrip for your Proflight flight back to Lusaka and your onward arrangements.|