Stok Kangri (6153m) is one of the most popular trekking peaks in the Indian Himalaya. Being the highest peak of Stok range in Ladakh, the climb to the top is a great introduction to anyone graduating from high altitude trekking to climbing in the Himalaya. That said, the climbing on Stok is mostly restricted to the summer months and there have been very few successful attempts to the peak in winters. The conditions on the mountain and the extreme cold make it a lot more challenging and even a bit technical. On this winter climb, we take the route starting from Stok village till Mounkarmo which will act as our base camp. From Mounkarmo Base Camp, we ferry our loads and stock up the summit camp. All participants are expected to carry their own personal equipment to Base Camp and do a load carry till high camp near the glacier.
The climb is a solid winter expedition and would be highly demanding on both the body & mind. One would need to be prepared for tough days at high altitude in harsh winter environment. Expected temperatures on summit day is around -35° C and factoring in the wind chill, can go as low as -40°C. It is a perfect preparatory trip for people climbing Everest or other high peaks in the Spring season. One would get a chance to test all their gear in temperatures similar to that on 8000m climbs in Spring.
Show Detailed Itinerary
Hide Detailed Itinerary
Day 01: Arrive Leh
The flight takes us over the Greater Himalayas and makes an exciting landing at one of the highest airports in the world. Transfer to hotel. Overnight at hotel.
Day 02: Rest & Acclimatisation
Acclimatisation day in Leh. You can relax, take a stroll around the Leh market to get used to the temperatures and the altitude. Overnight Hotel
Day 03: Drive to Stok & trek to Changma (4000m)
Start driving from Leh and cross the Indus to reach Stok Village. We follow the river all the way to Chagma Campsite. We keep the first day easy and let our bodies get used to the altitude and the cold as we camp at 4000m. Overnight Camp
Day 04: Trek to Mounkarmo - the Winter Base Camp (4300m)
The day starts with a climb to a small pass above Changma which will warm you up well. We continue by the stream as we gain another 300m more to Mounkarmo. Overnight Camp
Day 05 & Day 06: Load Ferry to High Camp & back to Base
From Mounkarmo Base Camp, we ferry our loads till the summit camp which is established near the Stok Glacier. We return to base on both the days to further acclimatize.
Day 07 - 09: Climbing Period
We have three days above base camp for our climbing. We move to the summit camp and make the final push to the top!
Day 10: Contingency Day
Emergency day in case of bad weather
Day 11: Trek Mounkarmo to Stok village & drive to Leh
Hike down to Stok Village and drive back to Leh. Enjoy the warmth and cosy up in a bed! Overnight Hotel
Day 12: Fly back home!
Morning transfer to the airport and fly to Delhi and onward home.
68,900 / 1155
LEH TO LEH
- - All arrangements for staying and camping while on the trip
- - All transport in a non AC car / Tempo Traveller as per the itinerary above
- - Accommodation on twin share basis in tents / ‘A’ class hotels (all meals included)
- - Professional guide fee, wildlife fee and climbing permit
- - All trekking arrangements with an experienced guiding team, camp staff, cook etc.
- - GST as applicable (Subject to change as per govt rules).
- - Delhi - Leh - Delhi airfare. Railway station / airport transfers in Delhi
- - Sleeping bag, items of personal clothing and personal climbing equipment (budget on spending INR 6000 if renting equipment from Leh)
- - Porterage of personal baggage
- - Expenses of a personal nature like laundry, insurance Beverages and snacks in Leh or any other tea house, tips for guides, cooks & porters
- - Any costs arising out of unforeseen circumstances such as bad weather, landslides, road conditions and any other circumstances beyond our control.
All tour descriptions and conditions are given in accordance with the information of White Magic