Nun Kun Massif dominates the skyline in the upper Suru valley and the twin peaks of Nun (7135m) and Kun (7077m) are the highest in the Zanskar range in Ladakh. The two peaks are separated by a snowy plateau of about 4km in length. Pinnacle Peak (6930m) is the third highest mountain in this group. We aim to climb Mt.Nun which was first climbed in 1953 by French-Swiss expedition along with Indian sherpas. We acclimatise near Stok Kangri and then head to this classic 7000er for the climb.
Show Detailed Itinerary
Hide Detailed Itinerary
Day 01: Arrive in Delhi, A mandatory expedition briefing at IMF
Arrive Delhi and check-in at the hotel. In the post lunch session we will have to attend a mandatory briefing at the Indian Mountaineering Foundation (IMF). Here we would be introduced to the Liason Officer (LO) for our climb. Overnight Hotel in Delhi
Day 02: Fly Delhi – Leh (3500m). Rest and Acclimatize
Take the early morning flight from New Delhi to Leh. It is a short flight of about 75 mins, but offers great views, as we fly over the Himalayan states of Himachal Pradesh and Jammu and Kashmir. Overnight Hotel in Leh
Day 03: Explore around Leh
We spend a day allowing our bodies to adapt to the high-altitude and soak in the local culture. There is plenty to keep you occupied. We visit some of the monasteries in and around Leh such as the Shey, Thiksey and Hemis. There is also the option of visiting the old Leh Palace and the Khardung La Pass (world’s highest motorable road at 5,600m/18,400ft). Leh also has a useful market and you could do some last-minute shopping and pick up some gear for the climb. Overnight Hotel in Leh
Day 04: Drive Leh to Matho village & trek to Matho chu (3800m) 2 to 3 hrs
Today we make an early start from Leh and drive to Matho Village with a beautiful monastery, which is the start point of our trek. We walk about 2 to 3 hrs to our campsite just next to Mathu Chu River. For acclimatization purpose we camp at a lower altitude and keep the day easy. Overnight Camp.
Day 05: Trek over a small pass to below Gangpoche (4400m) 5 to 6 hrs
We continue going up the Matho Chu till we reach a fork. We take the trail on the right and climb steadily till we reach a high point. Gangpoche is straight ahead next to the shepherd huts. We camp in the camping ground below the hill. Overnight Camp.
Day 06: Trek over the Matho La to Mankarmo (4350m) 4 to 5 hrs
An easy day with a gradual ascent of about 2.5 to 3 hours to Matho La with many prayer flags fluttering. From here we descent steeply on a switchback trail to Mankarmo which has a big parachute cafe. A great chance to view wild mountain goats on this trail. Today is also the day when you get your first views of Stok Kangri peak. Overnight Camp.
Day 07: Trek to Stok Kangri Base Camp (4975m) 3 - 4 hrs
We are now on the trail connecting the Stok village to the base camp. The base camp is a short walk from here but we do gain a substantial altitude. Overnight Camp.
Day 08: Trek to Stok village and drive to Leh. 6 - 7 hrs trek, 1 hr drive.
We exit out of the Stok valley at Stok village and then drive for another 1hour to Leh. Overnight hotel.
Day 09: Drive Leh to Kargil (2800m) 6-7hrs
We drive at a leisurely pace down to the Indus valley - stopping at the popular sightseeing points. Nimu, the confluence of river Indus & Zanskar, Alchi monastery & Lamayuru monastery would be the main attractions for the day. Overnight Hotel in Kargil
Day 10: Drive Kargil-Tangol (3-4hrs)
You get the first views of the Nun-Kun peaks today as you take the bumpy road by the Suru River. You reach Tangol and rest. Overnight Camp
Day 11: Sort out equipment and trek to Nun Base camp
Sort out equipment and start the hike to Base Camp. Overnight Camp
Day 12: Rest day at Base Camp
Rest and acclimatization day at base camp as we make final preparations to start the climb.
Day 13 - Day 22: Climbing Period - We set up 3 camps (C1-5500m, C2-6100m & C3-6400m)
Day 23: Trek Base Camp to Tangol
Day 24: Drive Tangol to Leh
Day 25: Free day in Leh
Day 26: Fly Delhi-Leh (3500m); debriefing at IMF
Day 27: Fly back home. Trip Ends!
2,25,800 / 4430
LEH TO LEH
- - All land transport of members and support team as per the itinerary above in Tempo Traveller.
- - 02 night’s accommodation on twin sharing at a 3-star hotel in Delhi on bed & breakfast basis
- - 05 night’s accommodation at a Guest House in Leh on full board
- - 01 night’s accommodation on twin share basis at a hotel in Kargil on full board
- - All meals on the trek
- - Group climbing gear (Ropes, Anchors, Shovels, Slings etc)
- - Kitchen cum Dining Tent & Toilet tent till Base Camp
- - Twin Sharing North Face or similar tent for the members
- - Climbing Permits
- - Laison Officer’s Fee to the IMF and all expenses incurred for his fooding, lodging & travel.
- - Porterage of all the equipment / supplies/ & personal baggage of max 20 kgs per member to & from Base Camp.
- - Services of White Magic trip leader, climbing Sherpas, cook & camp staff.
- - GST as applicable (Subject to change as per govt rules).
- - Del-Leh & Leh-Delhi Airfare.
- - Individual Climbing Gear.
- - Sleeping Bag & items of personal clothing.
- - Any costs arising from early departure from the expedition.
- - Any extra costs incurred caused in the event of finishing the expedition early.
- - Expenses of personal nature like laundry, phone calls, beverages, insurance & tips.
- - Any costs arising out of unforeseen circumstances such as bad weather, landslides, road conditions and any other circumstances beyond our control.
- - Tips for porters and local guides.
- Note -
1. Single Room during your stay in Delhi / Leh / Kargil can be booked at an additional cost of INR 13700.
2. Personal Sherpa who will accompany you throughout the climbing period can be arranged at INR 85000.
All tour descriptions and conditions are given in accordance with the information of White Magic