Markha Valley is one of the most popular treks in Ladakh. To make the trek more interesting, we take a deviation from the traditional Markha Valley trek route which exits out of Kongmaru La and instead go behind the Kang Yatze massif and exit via the Zalung Karpo La pass. The trek concludes at Debring on the Manali - Leh highway at the base of Taglang La. The trek gives you a best of both worlds where you see the beauty of Markha Valley as well as the wilderness of Zalung Karpo La.
Show Detailed Itinerary
Hide Detailed Itinerary
Day 01: Fly Delhi to Leh (3500 m).
The flight takes us over the Greater Himalayas and makes an exciting landing at one of the highest airports in the world. Transfer to hotel. Overnight at hotel.
Day 02: Visit the monasteries near Leh
Visit the famous monasteries of Shey & Thiksey. Back to hotel for lunch. Overnight at hotel.
Day 03: Drive to Chilling & trek to Skiu (3400m)
We drive west along the Indus valley till Nimu, the confluence of Zanskar & Indus river. Turn south to follow the Zanskar river till Chilling. We have an interesting river crossing here on a cable trolley and walk is along a flat & desolate plain till past the village of Kaya. The valley narrows from Kaya and we get to Skiu shortly. Just before you enter the village, there is a small monastery on top of a rocky cliff.
Day 04: Trek to Markha (3700m)
This is a long days walk but the trail to Markha is not too strenuous, rising about 300m across 22km, crossing the Markha river a couple of times. The landscape keeps changing as we climb and there is enough to keep one interested. Markha is a substantial village, complete with a derelict fort on the hillside and a small village monastery. Overnight Camp.
Day 05: Trek to Thachungtse (4150m)
Kang Yatse (6400m), a magnificent snow-clad mountain commands the views for the next two days. A popular place to spot herds of blue sheep slide up and down the steep cliffs with incredible agility. Overnight Camp..
Day 06: Trek to Nimaling (4700m)
You pass several mani (stones with prayer inscriptions) walls and suddenly come across a small lake. The view is wonderful from here - both of Kang Yatse, whose bulk gets reflected in the still waters of the lake, and also of the Markha Valley which we are now well above. Overnight Camp.
Day 07: Free day at Nimaling (4700m)
Hike up to Kongmaru La (5230m) or just take it easy. Overnight Camp.
Day 08: Trek Nimaling to Langthang Chen (4350m) 5hrs
The next four days of the trek are the most beautiful ad we walk towards Kharnak valley which is not very often visited by trekkers. We traverse the slopes of Kangyatse mountain and the scenery becomes quite dramatic. We have the jagged mountains in front of us all the time while we walk on the rolling hill sides. After an initial uphill walk we skirt around the ridges to drop down to Langthang Chu, a tributary of Markha valley
Day 09: Trek to Zalung Karpo La Base (4750m) 4-5hrs
Its an easy day and the main valley starts become narrower and the stream is smaller to cross which we have to do a few times. We camp at a grassy spot just before the pass.
Day 10: Trek across Zalung Karpo La (5200m) to Sorra (4600m) 5-6hrs
It becomes steeper and as we reach the pass we realize that it was only a false summit. The trail goes further up theough a a scenery of rolling mountains. From the pass we see jagged rock pinnacles, typical of Zanskar range on the south while the Kangyatse massif lies behind us. It is a steep zig zg descent to Sorra village which is quite deserted in the summers when the inhabitants take their livestock to higher pastures.
Day 11: Trek Sorra to Dat (4350m) 4-5hrs
We now follow the river in a dramatic & a beautiful canyon. The whole walk is quite magical as we have willows in the floor of the gorge and a clear stream running through. We finish the trek at the village which is inhabited by semi-nomadic herders. There is a small monastery in the village.
Day 12: Drive to Leh 5hrs.
The drive takes us through the famous Manali Leh highway which we meet at More plains and we cross Tanglang La (5328m) which is amongst the top few high motorable passes in the world.
Day 13: Fly out of Leh
Early morning transfer to the airport to take the onward flight. Trip ends!
LEH TO LEH
- - All arrangements for staying and camping while on the trip
- - All transport in a non AC car as per the itinerary above
- - Accommodation on twin share basis with foam sleeping mats in tents / ‘A’ class hotels (all meals included)
- - Mules for porterage of personal and group luggage
- - Full board camping arrangements on the mountain with a large mess tent, tables & stools
- - Professional guide fee, wildlife fee and climbing permit
- - All trekking arrangements with India’s most experienced guiding team, camp staff, cook etc.
- - GST as applicable (Subject to change as per govt rules).
- - Delhi - Leh - Delhi airfare. Railway station / airport transfers in Delhi
- - Sleeping bag, items of personal clothing and personal climbing equipment (budget on spending INR 5000 if renting equipment from Thamel, Nepal)
- - Expenses of a personal nature like laundry, insurance Beverages and snacks in Leh or any other tea house, tips for guides, cooks & porters
- - Any costs arising out of unforeseen circumstances such as bad weather, landslides, road conditions and any other circumstances beyond our control.
- Note -
1. Single Room in Leh during the trip can be booked at an additional cost of INR 8400.
2. Single Tent for all camping nights can be arranged at an additional cost of INR 7650.
3. Personal Porter to carry your day-pack during the trek can be arranged at INR 10000.
All tour descriptions and conditions are given in accordance with the information of White Magic