The Chadar walk isn't called the 'wildest trek in the world' for nothing. It's a primal trek on the Zanskar river, which is sheathed in ice each winter. We walk on ice, traverse across the gorge walls where the river thaws, and bed in caves that have been used by local travellers over centuries. Legends, history, culture and magical landscapes are an everyday affair on this walk, which is possible only during a window in the coldest months of winter. The trek follows an ancient trail used by the Zanskaris during the days of the Silk Road, when they walked this frozen highway all the way to Leh with wares they would trade for essentials. For those looking for adventure, action and bragging rights, nothing can hold a candle to the Chadar trek.
Show Detailed Itinerary
Hide Detailed Itinerary
Day 01: Fly Delhi to Leh (3500 m).
Leh is also the western tip of Tibet’s Changthang plateau. In terms of climate, geology, culture, and religion Tibet and Leh are very similar. Being a cold desert that gets even severe in the winters– barren mountains hostile to most forms of flora and fauna, Leh isn’t the most convenient town to ease into. Overnight at Hotel.
Day 02: Acclimatization, Local sightseeing in Leh.
We spend the day allowing our bodies to adapt to the high-altitude and soak in the local culture. We visit some of the monasteries in and around Leh such as the Shey, Thiksey and Hemis. There is also the option of visiting the old Leh Palace and the Khardung La Pass (world’s highest motorable road at 5,600m/18,400ft). Overnight at Hotel.
Day 03: Drive Leh to Tilat Sumdo (By Road 2.5hrs). Trek to Shingrak (Trek 5 hrs).
In the morning we leave Leh and drive past Nimu, the confluence of Zanskar and Indus rivers and then on to the roadhead at Tilat Sumdo.Here we descend to the chadar and get a sense of walking on ice. The Zanskar valley is perhaps one of the most remote Himalayan valleys in India and the true sense of remoteness becomes more evident as we approach our first camp. Overnight at Camp.
Day 04: Trek Shingrak – Dibyongma (6 hrs).
The barren landscape changing colors with the movement of the sun is one of the most rewarding sights in the Himalaya.Sometimes, on the way, the ice is broken and we may have to climb up adjacent gorge walls for short distances or walk on the very edge. Overnight at Camp.
Day 05: Trek Dibyongma – Nyerak Pulu (6 hrs).
We walk past many frozen waterfalls till we reach an especially beautiful one very close to camp. There is also a small wooden bridge that connects the gorge walls a little ahead and is the route to be taken to reach Lingshed in the Summers.Nyerak Pulu is just below Nyerak village and is the only village we encounter in the famed Zanskar Gorge. Overnight at Camp.
Day 06: Day Hikes around Nyerak.
Explore the wonderful village of Nyerak and hike around the hillsides of the village to witness the winter landscapes of Zanskar.
Day 07: Trek Nyerak to Chomo (8 hrs).
Take the same route back on the Chadar and be surprised how different the entire grand scene from the opposite side! Overnight Camp
Day 08: Trek Chomo to Tilat Sumdo (4-5 hrs) & drive to Leh.
Day 09: Fly Leh – Delhi
Early morning transfer to the airport. Trip Ends!
61,600 / 985
LEH TO LEH
- - Twin share accommodation for 3 nights at a 'A' category hotel on full board in Leh.
- - Twin share accommodation in 3-man tents with foam sleeping pads on the trek.
- - All transport as per the itinerary
- - Guided sightseeing of monasteries for half day at Leh.
- - Camping fees & permits
- - Full board camping arrangements on the mountain with a large mess tent, tables & stools White Magic trip leader assisted by a local Ladakhi guide.
- - Porters’ wages
- - GST as applicable (Subject to change as per govt rules).
- - Sleeping bag
- - Personal trekking equipment
- - Items of personal clothing
- - Air fares, visas, insurance, airport taxes, laundry, phone calls, alcohol, cigarettes, drinks, souvenirs and other expenses of a personal nature.
- - Tips for guides, cooks & porters
- - Any costs arising out of unforeseen circumstances such as bad weather, landslides, road conditions and any other circumstances beyond our control
All tour descriptions and conditions are given in accordance with the information of White Magic