This trek is probably the best short trek in the Himalaya. Easily accessible from Delhi, it offers spectacular views of the snow capped mountains all throughout the trek. There is beautiful camping by the lake of Devariyatal where on a clear day one can see a perfect reflection of Mt Chaukhamba. The forest walk from the Devariyatal to Chopta is completely pristine and the climb up to the summit of Chandrashilla is short but challenging. One gets a complete 360 degree view of the mountains from the summit. This trek combined with a multi-day rafting expedition on the Holy Ganga becomes a perfect trek n raft holiday. River Ganga is famous for its big volume class III rapids which are fun on any day.
Show Detailed Itinerary
Hide Detailed Itinerary
Day 01: Overnight train to Haridwar
Take the overnight New Delhi Dehradun AC Express (2355hrs) from New Delhi to reach Haridwar early in the morning (4:00am).
Day 02: Arrive Haridwar, drive to Sari & trek to Devariyatal
Drive straight to the village of Sari high up the Mandakini valley. Breakfast and lunch enroute. Kit up at Sari and hike the steep 2 hour climb to Devariyatal Lake (2440 m). Overnight Camp at Devariyatal.
Day 03: Trek Devariyatal to Chopta (3000m) 6-8hrs.
The trail goes through the dense forest and stays on the ridge all the way to Tali. From here we descend for a while to cross a stream and then climb up gradually to reach Chopta, located in an idyllic setting having beautiful meadows and surrounded by dense forests. Overnight Camp Chopta.
Day 04: Trek to Chandrashila Top and back (3700m) 4 hrs
Start early in the morning and climb up the cemented pilgrim path up to the Shiva temple of Tungnath (3470 m), with rhododendron bushes all around and the mighty Kedar range in full view throughout. After a short rest, we climb for an hour to the summit of Chandrashilla peak (3650 m) above Tungnath. Chandrashila is the highest point in the area and provides breathtaking 360 degree views on a clear day with the mighty snow clad ranges to the north and the endless series of lower ridges visible all the way to the plains in the south. Overnight Camp Chopta.
Day 05: Drive Chopta to Baghwan (4 hrs) & raft to Byas-Ghat
Starting early we drive to the put-in point of our rafting trip – Baghwan. After a comprehensive safety we begin rafting. We start the trip on the Alaknanda River as it enters the last canyon stretch with good white-water, with names of rapids such as ‘Baghwan’s Pillow’, ‘The Deadly Duos’ and more, until we reach Devprayag. It is a mild section from here until the campsite with a few rapids where you can body surf, swim, relax and spot wildlife. Overnight Camp Byas Ghat.
Day 06: Raft Byas-Ghat to Kaudiyala
An easy day with small rapids. Great day to relax, soak in the sun, bodysurf and bird-watch. Class 2+ section through the wide canyon all the way to Kaudiyala. Set up camp for the night on a beach at Kaudiyala. Overnight Camp Kaudiyala.
Day 07: Raft Kaudiyala to Rishikesh. Drive to Haridwar. Board evening train to Delhi
Raft down adrenaline pumping rapids like ‘Daniel’s Dip’, ‘The Wall’, ‘Three Blind Mice’, ‘Crossfire’, ‘Bodysurfing’, ‘Return to Sender’, ‘Roller Coaster’, ‘Golf Course’, and lots of smaller ones too. We stop to have lunch and then continue to encounter the big rapids on the Ganga. We end the trip just before the famous Laxman Jhula in Rishikesh. After lunch we drive to Haridwar station to catch the evening Shatabdi Express to Delhi where we arrive at 10:45 pm. Trip ends!
DELHI TO DELHI
- - All travel from NDLS to NDLS at the end of the trip.
- - 2AC/Chair car on trains and non-AC SUV cars.
- - All accommodation on twin sharing basis in tents.
- - All meals from breakfast on Day 2 till lunch on Day 7.
- - Professional guide fee, camping fee, sanctuary fee.
- - Mattresses, tents and all group camping gear.
- - All trekking arrangements with India’s most experienced guiding team, camp staff, cook etc.
- - Includes 9% Service tax (Subject to change as per Govt rules)
- - Sleeping bag & Personal Trekking Gear
- - Any arrangements in Delhi
- - Expenses of personal nature like laundry, phone calls, alcohol, cigarettes, camera fee
- - Any costs arising out of unforeseen circumstances such as bad weather, landslides, road conditions and any other circumstances beyond our control.
- Note -
1. Single Tent for all camping nights can be arranged at an additional cost of INR 3400.
3. Personal Porter to carry your day-pack during the trek can be arranged at INR 7500.
All tour descriptions and conditions are given in accordance with the information of White Magic