Highlights of the Victoria Falls big 5 safari
- We spend 3 nights at Gorges Lodge just outside Victoria Falls, away from the crowds but within easy access of the Falls
- soak up the splendour of the rain forests overlooking the falls themselves
- plenty of time for intense game viewing in Zambezi National Park
- it’s just a short flight to Hwange for 3 nights in the heart of the National Park. (The reserve is on the north eastern border with Botswana so it shares the same eco system as Chobe)
- we’ll stay at Bomani Tented Safari Camp on our private Ngamo Forest concession bordering Hwange National Park.
- accommodation in charming en-suite tents overlooking the waterhole or plains
Best time to do this safari tour
Victoria Falls and Hwange National Park are great year round destinations. The rainforest around the Falls is always soaked in the spray from the Falls.
- May to October – dry season when Hwange is at its very best. Large herds of elephants and other animals come to the waterholes to drink.
- April, May and September – the temperatures are pleasant with little rain.
- Do take some time to read these notes on our “secret seasons in Africa” as you’re most likely to miss the crowds and get the best prices.
See ‘useful info’ below for seasonal rates and optional activities
An excellent value Big 5 safari available year round
(Photos courtesy Tami Walker)
|Day 1 Arrive Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe||You'll be met on arrival by our driver for the 25 minute transfer to Gorges Lodge, on the edge of the gorge -your base for 3 nights. Time to arrange your sunset cruise and tour of the Falls.|
|Day 2 - Activities at Gorges Lodge||Visit local village and school, Traditional dancing, Verreaux's eagle viewing with sun downers, gorge walk .|
|Day 3 Escorted tour of the World Heritage Site||Vic Falls is a bucket list must see and you're about to find out why! One of the natural wonders of the world. 1700m wide and a 100m drop. Take a raincoat, the spray is constant all year round!|
|Day 4 Depart for Hwange National Park||You'll transfer to Dete Railway Station by vehicle. Hop on the Elephant Express carriage to Bomani Tented Camp. Home to plentiful wildlife, including giraffe, lion, zebra and 40,000 elephants!|
|Day 5-6 Bomani Camp, Hwange NP||Take an early morning walk followed by a morning drive after breakfast. In the afternoon you could head out again, stopping off for a sun downer and a night-drive back to camp.|
|Day 7 Depart Bomani for Vic Falls||A final game drive transfer back to the charming old fashioned railway carriage ride to Dete, and then on to Victoria Falls by vehicle. You'll be dropped off at Vic Falls Airport.|