Mountain gorilla trekking in Uganda
This is the simplest way to enjoy mountain gorilla trekking. Discover more than just gorillas during this short stay in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest.
The safari starts in Entebbe. Fly down to Kihihi airstrip, where you’ll be collected and transferred to a comfortable lodge within Bwindi Impenetrable Forest. You’ll spend 4 days down in this fascinating area with one gorilla permit included in the price. There’s time for a second gorilla trek and a time to explore the forest and community. Fly back to Entebbe at the end.
- Bwindi Impenetrable Forest
- 4 days/3 nights
- Gorilla trekking
- Meet the local community
The success rate of seeing these awesome apes in the Bwindi forest is high. If you miss them on the first day then you’ll still have two further days to try again.
Highlights of the Mountain Gorilla Trek
- Save time with a private charter flight from Entebbe to the Kihihi airstrip for our 3 night gorilla safari.
- Hosting is warm and friendly; the guides are local experts
- The trek itself could take a full day. Everything comes down to the single hour that you’re permitted to stay with the gorilla group.
- Take loads of photos but then put your camera down. Make sure you spend most of your time absorbing the full context of the gorilla experience.
When’s the best time to see mountain gorillas?
- All year round but we recommend advance planning in the popular “high season” from May to September when permits and accommodation are at a premium or in short supply.
- June to August are usually the driest months offering easier treks but you could have soft rain at any time.
- Conditions can be tougher in the “wet seasons” during March/April and October/November.
Other mountain gorilla trekking options
- Combine a Uganda gorilla trek with our Easy gorillas in Rwanda and climb the slopes of the Virunga Volcanoes looking for mountain gorillas.
- If you’re after more than just gorillas then think about our Classic Uganda safari
- For unique and off beat travel try our Odzala Kokoua adventure in Congo Brazzaville in Central Africa.
|Day 1 - Entebbe to Bwindi||Road transfer from your Entebbe hotel to the airport for your flight (approx. 1.5 - 2 hours) to Bwindi Impenetrable Forest and transfer by road to Buhoma Lodge.|
|Day 2 - Bwindi Impenetrable Forest||Wake up for an early breakfast. Start gorilla trekking. You could spend the whole day out, but most treks are around 3 to 4 hrs in length. You'll be accompanied by trackers, guides and porters.|
|Day 3 - 2nd optional gorilla trekking||You could pre-book a second gorilla trek or go on one of the many forest walks to spot a few of the 346 bird species! The lodge is just 5 minutes from the start of the gorilla trekking point.|
|Day 4 - Leave Bwindi||Road transfer to the airstrip and your scheduled flight back to Entebbe. Ask your Zambezi consultant about options to add on if you'd like to stay longer.|