Contact our Norway experts now
Call: 01737 886248
Make an enquiry
The Ultimate Guide to Abisko
Read the Blog
After our evening meal we went up the chair lift to the Abisko sky station to wait for the Northern Lights and saw an amazing display - we couldn't have asked for anything more!
Susan Day, Tromso, Abisko and Icehotel
Our stay at the Icehotel was an incredible experience and we were truly blessed to have seen the northern lights
Patricia Weston & Lorina Hornby, Tromso, Abisko & the Icehotel
Day 1: depart to Tromso Fly to Tromsø and make your way to Tromsø city centre and spend 3 nights at the Scandic Ishavshotel. Other hotels are also available. Days 2-3: Tromsø Time at leisure to explore Tromsø, also known as the 'Paris of the North'. There are many optional excursions during the daytime and evening on offer. Day 4: Tromsø - Abisko Make your way to Tromsø bus station for an early departure and take the scenic coach journey to Narvik train station (4 hours). Then take the train and travel through the mountains to Abisko (1 hour and 45 minutes). The bus and train times do vary depending on the day of travel. Walk the short distance and check in at Abisko Mountain Station. After dinner take the chairlift (a 15 minute walk* from your accommodation) to Aurora Sky Station. It's advisable to wrap up as the temperature drops as you ascend - additional clothing or a blanket will be provided on the chairlift should you need it. After the 20 minute ride, step out onto the mountain top and look out for the aurora borealis which will hopefully be visible. Spectacular displays have been known to fill the entire sky here for around two hours but it must be remembered that this is a natural phenomena and therefore sightings cannot be guaranteed. Warm up in the summit café, take a look at the exhibition and enjoy being in the company of other eager aurora seekers. Take the chairlift down, head back to the hotel and perhaps enjoy a warming drink in the bar before retiring.
Please note due to the nature of the Abisko Sky Station chairlift experience we do not recommended for children under the age of 12 years.
Day 5: Abisko - Kiruna - Icehotel Travel by rail to Kiruna and transfer to Jukkasjarvi, home of the Icehotel. Check in for a 3 night stay (1 night in an Ice Room, 2 nights in a warm room). Take a guided tour of this amazing ice construction, designed and built every year, a concept that has been literally ‘wowing’ guests for over 20 years. You’ll also have time to get kitted out with your one piece thermal suit, boots and gloves which will be loaned to you for the duration of your stay at the Icehotel. Days 6-7: at leisure Participate in optional activities or simply enjoy the beautiful surroundings. To ensure availability it is advisable to book certain activities and excursions in advance. Day 8: depart the Icehotel Check out of the Icehotel and transfer to Kiruna Airport for your flight back home. Notes
- Due to the coach and train connections in Narvik on day 4, if the travel day from Tromso is either a Saturday or Sunday it is necessary to reduce the stay in Tromso by 1 night and stay overnight in Narvik in order to catch the train to Abisko the following day.
- It is also possible to operate this itinerary in reverse.
- You can fly direct between London Heathrow and Kiruna - available on set dates only - see prices & departures.
- Option to extend your stay: To see more of the beautiful Norwegian coastline, why not extend your stay and join a Hurtigruten voyage to Kirkenes. Alternatively, with flights operating via Oslo and Stockholm, it is also possible to extend your stay in one or both of these Scandinavian capitals. Please contact our team to discuss your options.
- Please note the northern lights are a naturally occurring phenomena and sightings cannot be guaranteed.
- The weather can be unpredictable and therefore can cause substantial delays which can result in the need to re-arrange or extend your holiday itinerary. Whilst we and our contacts in country will do everything possible to minimise any disruption, it is important that you check the details of your travel insurance and allow for some flexibility in your plans.
All tour descriptions and conditions are given in accordance with the information of Discover the World